top of page
A Journey told through Fire, released on June 21, 2023
This player contains the full album and is for promotional purposes only. Copyright/all rights reserved SWORN.
Stream on YouTube
9/10 - Hellfire-Magazin
"Here many influences from the genre have been combined into a creative and highly recommended masterpiece... an album with seven favorite tracks for me and a considerable addiction factor"
- Susanne Kneisel
90/100 - ZwareMetalen.com
"Sworn is simply a rock solid melodic black metal band from Norway, A Journey Told Through Fire should not be missing in any (melodic) black metal collection!"
- Joris Meeuwissen
9/10 - Broken Tomb Magazine
"Everything on this album is measured to the millimeter and at no time does the compositional level drop, which is why Sworn have created a work that keeps our attention for almost an hour. Do you remember the “Armada” from Keep of Kalessin? In my opinion it maintains a very similar essence..."
8.5/10 - Metalstorm.net
"Here's some of the highest standard and most exhilarating meloblack you'll hear this year... With some great musicianship and excellent songwriting, Sworn have really pulled it out of the bag, and will hopefully set a benchmark for a new wave of melodic black metal for the future to come"
8.5/10 - Powermetal.de
"The only criticism I finally realize is that SWORN on "A Journey Told Through Fire" doesn't really reinvent the black metal wheel. But if we’re being honest, hardly any band does and as long as the typical genre trademarks are slapped around my ears as convincingly, catchy and without an apparent offer at a certain idol as on this disc, it would be a crime to hang on to such a little thing. Accordingly, there is also a whopping 8.5 points and a thick entry on my target list."
- Tobias Dahs
Format: CD & Digital
Label: Self-released. Currently unsigned/independent
While not being entirely a concept-album, the material written for this album has a clear connection, both lyrically and musically. In search for atmosphere and feeling, this album is darker and more intense than our previous albums. It contains our longest track yet, and there is even one track that can be perceived as progressive. Still remaining true to the style of Sworn, playing melodic and atmospheric black metal. We feel that we have nailed it on this one. Since the release on the 21st of june, most fans have told us that this is our strongest album yet, and we have to agree. We are convinced that those who liked our previous material are in for a good time experiencing A Journey told through Fire!
Currently over at metalstorm.net the album is in the top 3 ranks for "Top albums of 2023", based on votes from the community. Holding the #1 spot for several weeks.
Once again, we’ve worked with Dan Swanö at Unisound who has done both mix and master, and it sounds as you would expect from that guy, massive!
Max Wilson - Vocals
Christoffer Kjørsvik - Lead guitars
Gøran Hope - Rhythm guitars
Tom Ian Klungland - Drums
Bass and synthesizers by Christoffer Kjørsvik
Narration on the intro of "A Godless Domain" by Phillip Nathaniel Freeman
Mixed and mastered at Unisound by Dan Swanö
Drums recorded in Taakeheimen Lydrike, Oslo
Vocals recorded in Polyfon Studio, Bergen
Guitars, bass and synthesizers recorded in Sworn Studio, Trondheim
Cover artwork by Stefan Todorovic of Khaos Diktator Design
All music written by Christoffer Kjørsvik. Co-writing on "Monumental" by Tom Ian Klungland
All lyrics written by Christoffer Kjørsvik, Max Wilson and Tom Ian Klungland
Band info and history
- From Bergen, Norway
- Genre: Melodic Black metal
- Inspirations: 90s black metal, Ulver, Dissection, Dimmu Borgir, Alcest, Naglfar, Windir, Insomnium, etc.
- Founded in 2005 as a one man project and released demo Night Supremacy
- Signed with Twilight-Vertrieb in 2007 and released first album The Alleviation
- Toured with Behemoth, Aborted and Helrunar in 2007
- Played several festivals in Germany (Summer Breeze, Ragnarök, Ultima Ratio, ++) from 2007 to 2009
- Released second album Bastards and Conquerors late 2009
- Went into a hiatus between 2011 and 2016, but released Doomlights EP in 2013, which contained material for the planned fourth album.
- Back at full force with the self-released album Dark Stars and Eternity in 2018, which received great reviews. Among others 6/6 in Norway's most known metal magazine; Scream Magazine.
- Prepared for new live shows and headlined a gig in Trondheim, Norway, january 2020
- Had also booked gigs at both Oslo and Bergen in Norway, but was cancelled due to the pandemic.
- Spent the downtime during the pandemic writing the upcoming album A Journey told through Fire
- Played first show after the pandemic in Bergen, Norway in november 2022
- Released A Journey told through Fire June 21st, 2023
Photo: Rune Drotninghaug
Photo: Rune Drotninghaug
Promopic 2023 fra cover uten logo
Photo: Einar Wilson
Photo: Kim Pettersen
Photo: Richard Saure
Live at Ragnarok Festival
Artwork: Stefan Todorovic
Artwork: Amit Dutta
Artwork: Pierre Alain
Artwork: Robert Høyem
Sworn Logo 2023
Logo 2023 transparent
Old logo transparent black
Old logo transparent white
bottom of page